Rachael's trip

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Reflections

Lately, I have been reading a book of reflections and devotions each morning. Today's was something that made me think and reflect over much of the day. Today's piece was about not going through an open door because we are desperate - to only go through the open doors that are right for us.

I got to thinking about my last job. Did I take it because I was desperate? No. But, I did stay TOO long. I should have left way before I did, but I just didn't have the confidence to move. Was it the job that sapped my confidence or was it just me? It was definitely the job. I was at a low performing school that just sapped the strength and creativity of even the very best of all teachers. I was convinced that every school in my adopted state had to be just as bad. In fact, I rationalized that it was better to be with the "Devil you know than the Devil you don't know..." What a crock!

I finally left when I just couldn't stand it anymore. I am so glad that I did! I now teach at a magnet school with hand picked students and a small faculty that pretty much thinks the same way that I do.Wow, who would have thought that there were more of us out there! And guess what? Not every school in this state is like that last one! In fact, I have noticed that people who are considered the very best in their field started at that school early in their careers.

I am so glad that I walked through the door that was opened to me at my new school. I am so glad that I recognized a great opportunity when I saw it. I am tired here at the end of the year, but I am grateful to have landed where I did.

No comments: